The AFWA fiscal year is rapidly coming to a close, and elections for the 2016-2017 session are upon us. Within the next few days you will be receiving a ballot for the upcoming election of the new Board of Directors. There are a few things of note about this ballot:
- This will not be a NEW Board. There are no new names on the ballot!
- Despite reaching out to several individuals, we have no President Elect slated for the 2017-2018 term.
- Our by-laws have term limits for our Directors – TWO. The majority of our Board has been participating for over 10 years.
We have been reaching out all year with vigor and enthusiasm to re-engage our members. Your Board has made great progress revitalizing our AFWA-Phoenix website, ensuring relevant and interesting meeting topics, and more opportunities to socialize outside of our monthly technical meeting. Sadly, our membership continues to dwindle, and meeting attendance is at an all-time low. With the exception of a few, the technical meetings are attended largely by the Board.
So, why do we continue fighting for the survival of the Chapter? It’s because we love the AFWA. We are proud of the 61 years that the Phoenix Chapter has encouraged and supported women accounting professionals. We are thankful for the fellowship we’ve shared and the lifelong friends we’ve made. We are encouraged by the progress and contributions women have made to the fields of accounting and finance, and we want to continue that tradition.
As I complete the last couple of months of my term, I’d like to ask for commitments from each member to do the following:
- Attend at least 4 technical meetings in the up-coming year
- Invite a guest (or two) to one of those meetings
- Suggest a technical meeting topic or speaker
- Consider becoming a Board Director, Chairperson or Committee Member. And, please keep in mind that the time commitment is not that great. We are an incredibly close and collaborative group, and ANY participation is greatly appreciated.
The next formal meeting of the Board of Directors is Saturday, June 11th, from 9:00 AM to around 12:00 PM. (I am issuing an invitation to any member who would like to attend. Reach out via the “Contact” tab on the website to RSVP, and location, directions, etc. will be provided.) Be aware that one of the agenda items will be the potential dissolution of the Chapter after the 2016-2017 term.
With warmest regards and great hope for the continuation of the 61 year tradition of the AFWA-Phoenix Chapter,
Donna D. Emerson, CPA, CGMA
President, AFWA-Phoenix Chapter